History of Clevedale Inn & Gardens

Clevedale-Rock-775-527Clevedale, once a thriving farm, was first named in the latter 19th century by Jesse Franklin Cleveland. He was a descendant of the clan that traces its roots to a tract of country in North Riding of Yorkshire, England which produced such notables as Moses Cleaveland, the founder of Cleveland, Ohio, and Steven Cleveland, better known by his middle name, Grover, the 22nd and 24th President of the United States.

The original dwelling, facing south toward Willis Road, was built in 1790. It was Jesse who, shortly before World War I, razed the structure and in 1913 erected the current house as a wedding gift for his son, Conrad Cleveland, later, senior, and his wife, Louise.

The house, of colonial design, is accented by stately pillars on the front porch. The outbuildings, especially the greenhouses, reflect the interests of Conrad Cleveland, Jr., who, among a variety of artistic avocational pursuits, was an avid horticulturalist. Conrad, Jr., claimed Clevedale as his home from the mid-1940s until his death in 1985, after which the Brown family took ownership.

A018-0006grnIn January 2012, Clevedale was purchased by Paul Roberts Abernathy and Pontheolla Mack Abernathy. Pontheolla, a native of South Carolina, had a desire to own and operate a bed and breakfast and events venue since her collegiate days at the University of South Carolina, Columbia. That dream, shared by her husband, Paul, who hails from St. Louis, Missouri, has come to fulfillment in the Clevedale Historic Inn and Gardens, situated a half mile from Warren H. Abernathy Boulevard, named for the state director for the late James Strom Thurmond, the long-serving United States Senator for South Carolina. Though bearing no relation, Paul and Pontheolla feel this fortuitous coincidence harbors an especial blessing on their venture.

1790

Edward Bomar acquires land, builds house

Mid-1840s

Granddaughter, Elizabeth marries Robert Easley Cleveland, MD

Son, Jesse Franklin Cleveland gives name Clevedale

1913

Jesse builds current house as wedding gift for Conrad Cleveland (later Sr.) and his wife, Louise

Early-1920s

Conrad, Sr., and Louise move into town, use Clevedale as summer retreat

Mid-1940s

Conrad Jr. claims Clevedale as his home until his death in 1985